Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My quest for Truth

The first thing (or obstacle) that I faced after I got saved was the Bible.  I had to ask myself questions referring to the things that I believed (or thought I believed) about Christianity and its claims.  I had never read the Bible, never really prayed (save for 'amen' before I stuff my face), and never really thought about what I believed and why. 

What is the Bible?  Isn't it just a man-made book with the purpose of controlling people?  Aren't Christians just weak minded people with no purpose, thus the need for a God?  Why do I keep hearing things talked about this man Jesus Christ as though he is currently alive?  Wasn't he just some guy who was good with words and steeped in philosophy?  Aren't all religions balled up into one category: useless?  If it helps people, aren't I open to that?  If it's what you need, isn't it okay?  Why are these people talking about miracles from the past as though they were real?  Wasn't there one about some big ship and the world flooding?  Wasn't there one about the parting of some sea?  Don't these people realize that they are just stories and not historical fact?  Why do these people pray?  Don't they know that it is pointless?  Praying just helps you keep control, so keep it to youself internally.  If I read any book 5 times a day, I would believe it.  There is nothing special about the Bible, it is written by man right?  Hasn't it been altered a countless number of times?  Can't 100 people read a Scripture and come up with 100 interpretations?  Isn't what works for each person what is best?  I don't 'not' believe in God, I just don't know;  isn't that okay?  If God is so loving like Christians claim, He knows my heart and I'm okay.  These are just some of the questions that raced through my mind.  Although this took some time, I eventually found that I really didn't know any of the answers, I just knew what I had read/heard.  It really boils down to 5 fundamental quests:

1. Origen          -where did we come from?
2.  Identity        -who are we?
3. Meaning       -why are we here?
4. Morality       -how should we live?
5. Destiny        -where are we going?

These are not original ideas, I can't remember where I saw these.  I will try to quote where I can but i'm slack about writing down the source.  If I don't have the source, I will note that the material is not mine.
I looked up the source : "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist", by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek, p.20

Even before I get into where these questions took me, I have to briefly talk about the first thing that God brought to the surface in my life : my pride.  In U-turn for Christ, you basically live with around 20 guys all from different walks of life.  Different drugs of choice.  Different home lives.  I say this because up until this point, I didn't really deal with people.  Once I wrote someone off in my mind just saying "they are stupid" was my solution to everything and I could exit that person's life.  I quickly realized that I really wasn't too pleasant to be around sober.  I thought I was awesome, but the way people responded to me told me otherwise.  Since I had no music, no video games, no drugs, no cool clothes; I really didn't know how to relate to people.  I made a few friends, but for the most part I could tell that something was different.  I felt exposed and naked.  I didn't have anything to hide behind and I didn't like it.  I tried with all my might to make everything that was wrong about other people.  Through wise council, I discovered that drugs really weren't the problem.  It was gone and yet that was when the problems started.  I felt like a little boy lost in a busy place.  I had no idea where to go.  Logically looking at my emotions; the hate, the anger, the desire to run, the desire to rationalize everything as stupid.  This logically made me look at the fact that there was something inside of me WANTING me to run away and return to what was comfortable.  This was a great indication for me to see why that was. 

1.  Where did I come from?

Past belief = Through evolution and very long periods of time, man is here.  Some time billioins of years ago, a single cell organism began to adapt to its environment, beginning a process that has spanned eons, resulting in my existence.  By huge mathmatical possibilities, survival of the fittest, natural selection and chemical processes, life has endured.  Life began as certain chemicals reacted to other specific chemicals creating life.  Chance reigns.

Biblical account = Man was created in God's image.  All of creation has been created with a purpose and design.  All of creation exists to fulfill God's plan of salvation, which was predestined before time was even time.  God orchestrates everything to express His love for his creations. 

Obviously, I had some problems.

[[[Even before I talk about this subject I need to say something.  Nothing trumps just reading the Bible.  I believe that there is a language of God.  It is a language not of words or of sound, it just 'IS'.  I believe that it is the language nature follows.  It is the language of life.  It is a language that God put in our hearts that we have lost the ability to hear.  Nothing I say in this blog about the Bible and it's accuracy is going to change you.  Many times I will refer another book rather than getting into specific topics on scrutinizing the Scriptures.  I have read many books in my life ranging across many topics.  Although they are interesting and very educational, they didn't change me.  The Bible is the first book that when read actually touches on things in my heart that I thought hidden and had been there since before I can remember.  Nothing but the words of God can do this.  Many things I talk about are interesting, but you have to actually read the Bible in order to hear from God or to be able to defend your disbelief in Him.  The Bible is 'that' language put into words so that we can understand it.  It is for human lives through accounts of human lives.  It is unexplainable and when read, the fact that it is not from this world becomes apparent.  PLEASE READ IT!! If there is ever any specific Scripture to discuss, find me on facebook.  This blog will not get too specific into the application and validitiy of Scriptures, it is about my walk thus far with God.  Ok, back to where I was at  :o)  ]]]]


For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident to them.  For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.  For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.  Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. [Romans 1:18-23]

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.  For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities- all things have been created through Him and for Him.  He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.  [Colossians 1:15-17]

In the beginning God created the heavans and the earth.  [Genesis 1:1]

I might actually be getting ahead of myself.  In the beginning of my walk, when people would bring me Scripture, I would just say in my mind "But I don't believe in the Bible so why give me Scripture.  You can't prove something by using itself."

I recommend the following books which I have read and would REALLY enjoy discussing after being read:

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell
More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell

These really helped in addressing my doubts and problems I had about the Bible while beginning to read it.  I highly recommend above all else talking to people about things you read in the Scriptures.  Don't be afraid to ask questions and raise doubts, just be prepared for an answer.

So, you can imagine the conflict that insued when I read what the Bible declared happened in creation.  The Bible went against everything I had been taught up until that point.  School, parents, friends, books, movies, music; it all hinted at me being in charge of my own destiny.  If it were true that what the Bible said about my existence and the intent behind it, I had some explaining to do. My life thus far had been lived without having to answer for my actions.  I was in control of my life (or so I thought), so to learn that there was a God that loved me hit me pretty hard.  Loved me even though I had done what I had done.  That made NO SENSE to me.

This book (the Bible) told me that I was created out of love and that the creator of the universe came down to earth as a man.  Once I learned a little bit about the things this man said, it shocked me to learn that he was hung on a cross.  I remember hearing someone say "They basically killed Mr. Rogers because he told them to love their neighbor.  That has to make you wonder."  This truth blew me away!  I expected Jesus to say some hate-filled and offensive things given how my life had been full of people attacking Him.  I expected Him to make me angry.  Say things that totally went against what was inside me and for it to be obvious that this was some scheme by man. But instead, His message was about love and how His life represented that love.  The things found in the gospels spoken by Christ have such a supernatural power.  Shortly after reading the Bible for the first time, I realized that it wasn't what I had always thought it was.  I realized that not that many people ACTUALLY read it or knew what it said enough to allow its words to guide their life.  I learned that most of the Christians that I had met did not actually read it and were just acting according to what they were taught.  I'm not making assumptions.  I remember many things they said and it went against what the Word of God says.  I know we all fail, but when someone's life is submitted to the will of God, you can tell.  You can also tell when it is not.  I believe it is a discernment that only the Word of God can give you through His Spirit.

Recommended reading on the person of Christ and the things He said :
The four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John)
The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey
Jesus Among Other gods by Ravi Zacharias
The Life of Jesus by Josh McDowell

I defend the life of Christ because I believe it is the beginning of anyone who comes to Christ.  I believe what He said needs to be challenged and observed.  I know that what He said are the words of life, so I quickly tell non-believers to meet Him head on.  His Word says that anyone who diligently seeks Him will find Him, and I agree with my whole heart.  Anything further on where I came from, the validity of the Bible and of the person of Christ would ask for my opinions.  I believe the Bible, once read, is very clear on the subject.

1 comment:

  1. Well said..

    Wow, this is quite the statement:

    "Once I learned a little bit about the things this man said, it shocked me to learn that he was hung on a cross... I expected Jesus to say some hate-filled and offensive things given how my life had been full of people attacking Him. I expected Him to make me angry. Say things that totally went against what was inside me and for it to be obvious that this was some scheme by man."

    I can't verbalize the emotions that it stirs, I have sat here for an hour trying

    And your point about evolution giving the excuse to do what ever we want because life is all chance, hit some chord, I have probably heard it said by a bunch of talking heads, a bunch of different ways, but somehow to hear it from a member of your generation so articulately finally made it sink in for me I guess.

    ReplyDelete